The Fish-Skull® Fish-Mask is an ultra-lightweight Fish-Skull® designed for tying weightless streamers that suspend in the water column. It has a realistic baitfish head profile that includes recessed eye sockets that secure and protect the fish eyes. Molded from a crystal clear, fluoro-epoxy material, the Fish-Mask™ takes on the colors of the body materials used on the fly.
The Fish-Mask™ with its front fitting technique is quick-and-easy to tie with, and offers a simple, effective alternative to using 5-minute or light-hardening epoxies to create streamer heads. BUY NOW!
The Fish-Mask™ – Winner of 2013 IFTD “Best of Show” Fly Tying Materials Award
- A weightless version of the Fish-Skull®.
- Realistic, baitfish profile.
- Perfect for suspending baitfish patterns.
- Equivalent of a pre-molded epoxy head.
- Clear, transparent color.
- Recessed eye sockets.
- Consistent size, shape and weight.
- Eight head sizes corresponding to the range of Living Eyes™ (3mm-15mm).
- Tie any streamer size from a #10 up to 8/0 hook size!
- Quick-and-easy, front-fitting tying technique.
- Easily combined with articulated shanks.
- No mess!
Fish-Mask™ Q & A:
Q: What problems does the Fish-Mask™ solve?
A: The Fish-Mask™ is essentially a pre-molded, epoxy head for streamer flies. It is clean, quick and simple to tie with and completely eliminates the hassle, mess and shape/size/weight inconsistencies associated with using 5-minute or light hardening epoxies.
No toxic fumes. No mess. No more drying wheel. Consistent size, weight and shape of the head reduces your tying time by half!
A: The Fish-Mask™ holds and protects the eyes of the fly solving the common problem of stick-on fish-eyes falling off when you hook your first fish. Use Clear Cure Goo Hydro or super glue to seal the eyes deep inside the mask.
Q: What types of flies can be tied using the Fish-Mask™?
A: The comprehensive range of 8 different Fish-Mask™ sizes allows you to tie virtually any size of salt or freshwater streamer–from the smallest of trout flies (example #10 hook) right up to the largest, predator flies (example: 7/0). To see examples of fly patterns tied by fellow anglers click here.
Q: Are Fish-Mask™ flies easy to cast?
A: Yes, the lightweight Fish-Mask™ is almost weightless and has an aerodynamic shape making it easy to cast.
Q: What is a Fish-Mask™ made of?
A: The Fish-Mask™ is molded from a hard, lightweight, transparent fluro-epoxy material. This crystal clear material allows the Fish-Mask™ to take on the colors of the underlying body materials that show through.
Q: Does the Fish-Mask™ sink or float?
A: The density of the material is slightly thicker than water which means it will sink very slowly. This is perfect for creating weightless streamers that will suspend in the water column.
Q: Can the Fish-Mask™ be colored?
A: Yes–Fish-Masks can be colored using Copic Marker pens.
Q: What does the Fish-Mask™ range consist of?
A: The Fish-Mask™ range consists of 8 sizes that directly correspond to the 8 sizes of Fish-Skull® Living Eyes. These head sizes are categorized accordingly for Small , Mid-range, or Big Game/Predator size streamers. The Living Eyes are sold separately.
PLEASE NOTE: The Fish-Skull® Living Eyes are sold separately.
Q: What is the “quick-and-simple” tying method?
A: The Fish-Mask™ is tied using the same innovative “front-fitting” tying method that Flymen Fishing Company introduced to the industry in 2010 when we launched the original weighted Fish-Skull®.
· First: Tie the entire fly (tail, body, flash materials etc…) onto the hook (or articulated shank) leaving a small gap behind the eye of the hook. Tie off your materials in the usual way creating a large “thread head” in the process. Add super glue (or Clear Cure Goo Hydro) to the thread wraps.
· Second: Fit the head (the Fish-Mask™) from the front of the fly and position the Fish-Mask™ in place against the materials as desired. Note: If you use Clear Cure Goo, your UV light will shine right through the Fish-Mask and cure the goo within 8 to 10 seconds! A quick and efficient method to secure the Fish-Mask to the fly.
· Third: Re-attach your tying thread between the Fish-Mask™ and the eye of the hook and wrap a small “thread-dam.” Tie off your thread and add head cement. The thread head locks the Fish-Mask™ firmly in place making it absolutely impossible to come loose.
Fourth: The fly is then completed by adding fish eyes to the eye sockets.
This quick-and-simple tying method allows even novice tiers to tie effective, good looking streamer fly patterns.
Q: Why are the deeply embedded eyes sockets a key feature of the Fish-Mask™?
A: Eyes are one of the most prominent features of any baitfish pattern acting as a “trigger” for the predatory species being targeted. The eyes sockets are designed to securely position, hold and protect the fish eyes in place.
Q: What eyes can be used with the Fish-Mask™?
A: Each size of Fish-Mask™ is designed to correspond to the range of Living Eyes™; however, almost any type of 3D or stick-on fish eyes may also be used. This flexibility enables fly tiers to use whatever color or style of fish eyes best suited for the fly pattern they are tying and opens up endless possibilities for creativity.
Please note that the Living Eyes are sold separately.
Q: What is the best way to secure the eyes in place?
A: There are two basic methods:
1. We highly recommend using Clear Cure Goo™ Hydro to seal the eyes in place. This is our preferred method as The Clear Cure Goo Hydro completely covers and then seals the eyes in place deep inside the eye sockets to produce a very realistic, professional finish. The eyes will never come off! Simply place the Living Eyes™ in the eye socket, cover them completely with some Clear Cure Goo Hydro™ and then hit it with the light for 8 – 10 seconds to cure. You will love the result.
2. The second method is to use clear drying super glue in the base of the eye sockets and then stick the Living Eyes™ in place. Done correctly, this is a very quick and effective technique.
Q: Can the Fish-Mask™ be combined with an articulated shank?
A: Yes! The front-slot of the Fish-Mask™ is designed to fit our entire range of articulated shanks:
· Fish-Skull® Articulated Shank
· Fish-Skull® Articulated Big Game Shank
· Fish-Skull® Senyo’s Articulated Shank for Steelhead & Salmon flies
· Fish-Skull® Articulated Fish-Spine.
Review the entire Flymen Articulated Shank Family.
Q: What is the “Flymen Big Game Fly Solution? “
A: We believe that the combination of a large size Fish-Mask™ (Sizes #10 or #15) + Living Eyes™ (10mm or 15mm) + Chocklett’s Articulated Big Game Shank™ provides the key building blocks or ”platform” upon which large, “Big Game Flies” can be built.