The Next Generation of weighted streamer heads.
The Fish-Skull™ is a weighted baitfish head that has a realistic profile and is specifically designed for tying freshwater and saltwater streamer fly patterns. Quick-and-simple to tie, this latest innovation in fly tying offers fly fishermen an exciting alternative to using dumbbells or cones to weight their flies. The Fish-Skull™ has unique design features making it a very versatile platform for tying a wide variety of realistic, weighted streamer patterns using natural or synthetic fly tying materials. BUY NOW!x
1. Realistic Baitfish Profile
• The Fish-Skull™ design mimics the head, eyes and gill plates of a baitfish producing a more realistic looking profile.
• The realistic size head typically “pushes more water” than traditional flies.
• Fish-Skull™ adds weight to your streamer pattern. They are made from a lightweight metal composite that allow us to create a realistic size fish-head with a large surface area, but without adding excessive weight.
• They weigh roughly about the same as an equivalent hook size dumbbell. Weight as follows: Small skull is 0.48 grams (0.017 ounce), Small-Medium skull is 0.79 grams (0.028 ounces), Medium skull is 1.26 grams (0.044 ounces), and the Large skull is 2.46 grams (0.087 ounces).
• For the SMALL size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #5 and higher.
• For the new SMALL-MEDIUM size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #6 and higher.
• For the MEDIUM size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #8 and higher.
• For the LARGE size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #9 and higher.
• Made from a 100% lead free metal composite material that is guaranteed to be corrosion free for up to 80 hours in saltwater.
• Unique design feature places the center of gravity and 70% of the weight of the Fish-Skull™ slightly below the hook shank producing a “keeling” effect similar to a dumbbell.
• The keel helps the fly track and orientate in the correct position.
• Allows the fly to be tied in either the hook down or the hook up position if desired.
4. 3-D Eyes
• Act as an important “trigger” for predatory game fish.
• A full set of 3D eyes is included with the Fish-Skull™ heads in the bag which eliminates the additional cost of buying eyes.
• Each pack of SMALL size has 10 skulls, MEDIUM size has 8 skulls, SMALL-MEDIUM size has 8 skulls and the LARGE size has 6 skulls.
• Sunken eye sockets in the Fish-Skull™ give fly tiers the option to use any other make, style or color of fish eye if they choose to do so.
5. Top and Bottom Slots
• Allow vertical freedom of movement for the tying materials.
• Enables broader profile flies to be tied.
• Gets more natural action from the materials.
6. Colors and Finish
• Fish-Skull™ has a beautiful Chromax™ anodized coating providing color, flash and durability.
• Seven baitfish colors carefully selected to match almost any color of natural or synthetic fly tying material.
Silver Baitfish – the perfect color for matching any silver or white baitfish.
Blue Baitfish – a very light and bright “silvery blue” finish suitable for imitating ocean forage fish like blue back herrings or small freshwater minnows.
Tan Baitfish – a “bronze” finish i.e. a golden tan color which is very versatile matching most sand, tan and brown tones.
Golden Chartreuse – a gold skull with a distinctive chartreuse (green) shade. Perfect for matching with white, chartreuse, green and olive colored materials.
Dark Grey – essentially a dark charcoal or black color, this is a good choice for most dark flies such as black-and-purple or all-black streamers.
Coppertone – a copper color that can be very versatile in matching many color materials such as crawfish rusty brown.
Pink Pearl – the name says it all! Great color for many saltwater baitfish patterns or bright steelhead or “flesh” colored Alaska style streamers.
7. Innovative Front-Fitting Design
• Quick-and-Easy to tie.
• Simply tie in all materials first, superglue thread wraps and fit Fish-Skull™ from front, finish off by tying a small thread-dam between the skull and the hook eye.
• Eliminates the need to use multiple coats of epoxy to build up a head and attach the eyes.
• Fish-Skull is available in 4 sizes (Small, Small-Medium, Medium and Large). The range fits hooks ranging from as small as a #8 (small freshwater/trout streamers) up to big #4/0 hooks (larger saltwater or bass flies).
• Size SMALL for hook sizes typically #8, #6, #4.
• Size SMALL-MEDIUM for hook sizes typically #4, #2, #1.
• Size MEDIUM for hook sizes typically #2, #1, #1/0.
• Size LARGE for hook sizes typically #2/0, #3/0, #4/0
• Note: Fish-Skull has been sized using “standard” length saltwater hooks as a reference point. However, due to the wide variance in hook sizes and shapes found between the different hook manufacturers, this only provides general guidance to the hook sizes suitable for each size skull. Those sizes highlighted in Red are generally found to be the best hook size; however we suggest you experiment to find the optimum hook for the particular fly pattern you wish to tie. See our Recommended Hook Guide in our Fly Tying resources section for more guidance on hook selection.
9. Made in the USA
Fish-Skull™ is 100% designed and manufactured in the United States.
10. High Quality Retail Packaging
• Color-coding, clearly marked specifications and basic tying instructions make it easy for anglers to select the right color and size.
• The Fish-Skull™ is currently available in 4 sizes and 7 colors.
• Bar-coding and POS display options make it easy for retailers to stock and sell.