The Next Generation of fly tying beads.
The innovative Nymph-Head® design significantly improved the common, round fly tying bead when it was launched in 2007. The simple addition of realistic 3D “nymph eyes” created a more realistic fly profile. It also added 15-20% more tungsten weight to the bead which greatly improved the sink rate of the fly. These features were combined with a wide range of vibrant new colors in a scratch-resistant anodized coating to produce an advanced fly tying product that allows fly tiers to make any ordinary fly pattern extraordinary. BUY NOW!
Five reasons why Nymph-Head®Heavy Metal™ tungsten beads are better:
- A more realistic fly profile.
- The fastest sinking tungsten beads on the planet.
- The widest range of color options in a superior anodized finish.
- In your fly box you can easily tell which beadhead flies are tungsten and which are brass.
- Best packaging with step-by-step tying instructions for original fly patterns.
1. More Realistic Fly Profile
Nymph-Head®beads have realistic 3D “nymph eyes” that imitate the eyes of natural insects. This an improvement upon the common round fly tying bead and enables the fly tier to create more effective and realistic imitations of aquatic trout food!
As an option, eye color can be easily added in seconds by using a fine-tip paint marker, vinyl jig paint or a permanent, waterproof marker to suit the desired nymph pattern. This offers the fly tier an endless range of color combinations and fly variations. See How to add eye color.
2. Fastest sinking tungsten beads on the planet.
15-20% extra tungsten material is used in manufacturing resulting in a bead that is significantly heavier than normal round tungsten beads. When fishing you will see a noticeable increase in sink rate as your fly gets down to the “feeding zone” quicker!
3. The widest range of color options in a superior anodized finish.
Nymph-Head® Heavy Metal™ beads are available in 10 colors giving the fly tier fisherman the widest choice of color options on the market today. There are 15 beads per pack.
Natural Fly colors includes beads in Caddis Green, Mayfly Brown, Baetis Green-Olive and Stonefly Black colors.
Traditional colors include beads in standard Gold, Copper and Silver colors.
Attractor colors are Bloodworm Red, Shrimp Pink and Steelhead Blue.
These ten colors offer fly tiers an almost limitless number of possible color combinations in that never ending quest for more effective, realistic flies.
Please Note: These are not “painted” or “enamel-baked” beads that may chip or fade, but have a permanent, high-quality finish using our Chromax™ anodizing technology.
4. Why Tungsten?
- Tungsten is about twice the price, but has over twice the sink rate of brass beads, getting your nymph down very quickly into the “feeding zone” and increasing your chances of a hookup by as much as 50% every cast!
- Tungsten is environmentally friendlier than lead and this supports the trend of angling communities to move away from the use of lead based alloys.
- Using tungsten beads can reduce your fly tying time since the need to add additional weight is often eliminated.
Nymph-Head® beads are available in 6 different sizes covering hook sizes from #4 through to #18.
5/64″ (2.0mm) for Hook Sizes #18 to #20
3/32″ (2.4mm) for Hook Sizes #16 to #18
7/64″ (2.8mm) for Hook Sizes #14 to #16
1/8″ (3.2mm) for Hook Sizes #12 to #14
5/32″ (4.0mm) for Hook Sizes #8 to #10
3/16″ (4.8mm) for Hook Sizes #4 to #6
In some cases, a particular hook model, shape or size may not allow a bead to pass around the bend of the hook. Have a look at the Flymen Hook and Bead Compatibility Guide which may help you in your hook selection.
5. Best packaging with step-by-step tying instructions.
We make it easy for customers to easily determine and select the right bead by providing high-quality packaging that is color-coded, bar-coded and has clearly marked hook and bead size specifications and full color photography. No more time wasted struggling to read poorly marked, generic packaging.
In addition, we add extra value to our product by showcasing an original fly pattern for each of the different bead colors on the packaging. These flies are unique patterns tied by members of the Flymen Pro Tying Team and provide great examples of what is possible. We provide step-by-step instructions for tying each of these patterns on our website for customers to view or download.